Friday, April 13, 2012

Week 2: Comments Entry

Week 2: Comments on Amanda Castaneda's Blog
Amanda I couldn’t agree more about the power of the Art of Possibilities. I really, really appreciate you ending your blog post with the quote, “Throw yourself into life as someone who makes a difference, accepting that you may not understand how or why.” I’m going to post that statement in my office space.  Zander really does a great job inspiring readers to venture beyond your initial perceptions. The nine-dot puzzle should be used more often in education. It’s a great simple way to show students to think more critically.

Amanda’s Castaneda's post
Before reading the first four chapters of our book The Art of Possibility By Rosamund Stone Zander and Benjamin Zander, I decided to review Benjamin Zander’s TED performance. One of statements he made that really stood out to me was “One of the characteristics of a leader is to not doubt for a moment, the capacity of the people he’s leading to realize what ever he is dreaming” I was really moved by this statement and the passion he displayed, making this presentation so inspiring to watch.

I think Zander’s enthusiasm really showed through when he connected with the audience by not containing his presentation to just the stage but by getting up close to audience really bringing them into his speech. His ability to play the piano was absolutely beautiful and the way he shared his passion for classical music, not only with the audience but also like myself watching the video, was absolutely amazing. Zander closes the presentation with a simple yet powerful statement from a Holocaust Survivor as a way to bear in mind that it really does matter what we say “I will never say anything that couldn’t stand as the last thing I ever say.” 
The Art of possibility is really a great book, because almost anyone could relate to what this book is speaking to. Its about being able to realize what could be and making things a possibility to live into. 

The book gives us an example of the famous nine-dot puzzle, as a way to show the readers how when first seeing this puzzle you are confined to perceive these dots as a square and when first trying to solve the puzzle many people find themselves struggling. When you actually look at the nine-dot solution you view the nine dots in a completely different way compared to the first set of dots presented. Initially when trying to solve this puzzle you become fixed only on the area that contained the dots. 

The author’s states that our mind creates these fames that confine what we may see as being plausible. The example of the nine-dot puzzle all ties to the underlying point that when you can take those frames created and invent new frames and spaces then you are able to see solutions or opportunities that you may had never noticed.

Each chapter provides its readers with wonderful examples of how we can shed a new light on making things possible and that every mistake is a learning opportunity and way we can improve. Each chapter provides a section where we can take these ideas and practice them in our everyday lives.
“ Throw yourself into life as someone who makes a difference, accepting that you may not understand how or why.”


Week 2: Comments on Michael Coley's Blog


Michael, I’m glad I read your blog. You are absolutely right about giving our students more opportunities to just make decisions. Shoot, I need to just make more decisions without tolling with the outcome. Fear can really paralyze one who feels like they have to make the right decision. I’ve worked with children from 12 months to 18 years. I love the fact that toddlers and preschoolers aren’t hindered about the right or wrong decision. It’s important that we all reconnect with that fearlessness from our early childhood.



Michael Coley's post
In Zander’s book The Art of Possibility, a couple of things caught my attention. Notes on practicing, Roz tells a story about her first white water rafting trip and the guide educating everyone about what to do if you fall out of the boat. The guide kept repeating toes to nose and look for the boat. It reminded me of my boss, Mr. Williams, telling our department staff to sell your program. He said it over and over in our department meetings. About the time the economy went south, the Georgia Department of Education changed the name of my introduction to construction class to Occupational Safety and Fundamentals. My first thought was what high school student would sign up for a class with that name. I thought about it for a few minutes knowing that to keep a CTAE Program alive you had to have numbers. My numbers were always high because my class was easy to recognize by the name until now. Then I could hear Mr. Williams say you have to sell your program. I began to sell my program by talking about what the new class would offer. I had to re-call the catch phrase that Mr. Williams had provided to me in advance.

Giving an A and taking away the fear of making mistakes would benefit my students. I remember back to my first construction job. I ran a crew for a small company remolding offices. My boss had a saying if you get into a situation and was unsure about what to do, he would say do the best you can with what you got. He also gave me an A from the start. He said to always make a decision and go with it and if it’s wrong we will fix it later. He said it was better to make a decision right or wrong than to just sit around and not do anything. I think as teachers we need to do the same for our students. I think if we provide for students with a learning environment free from the fear of making mistakes student learning will increase. I think sometimes teachers hold back students from learning because of the fear of failure.




No comments:

Post a Comment