Friday, April 13, 2012

Week 2: Reading-The Art of Possibility


2655889793_b3acd12d23.jpg



The book The Art of Possibilities by Benjamin Zander is an inspiring and amazing book. The reading assignment comes at a perfect time in my life and I stand at several crossroads in my life. While, I've read numerous self help books, I like the way the author frames the power of possibilities. I'm a pretty positive and optimisitic person. However, latetly I've been tested by a few challenges in my life. As I read the text, I'm reminded that I really need to draw a different frame around my current circumstances. This suggestions is motivating and aspiring because it provides hopes. The following, statement " We perceive only the sensations we are programmed to receive, and our awareness is further restricted by the fact that we recognize only those for which we have mental maps or categories," is powerful as it encourages us to think beyond our perceptions.

I also really appreciate the author, stating that much of our existence is about survival. Day in day out, even as I strive for personal fulfillment my subconscious is pretty much focused on the business of  survival. I enter the realm of possibility when I'm around the ocean, as it calms my spirit and grounds me  and reminds me to just be.


Zander, R. Zander, B. (2002) The Art of Possibility. Transforming professional and personal life 1-65

3 comments:

  1. Kwasida,

    I agree that reading this book at this time was very beneficial to me also. Like you, I have read many self help books and this book made me think about my life and where it is heading and where I'm at now.

    A lot of people would not call me optimistic and positive but I see myself as a realist. I don't see it as being a negative person but I live in reality most of the time. I can agree with the authors when they state that much of our existence is about survival. I can interpret that many ways based on experiences and life.

    Hang in there, you are a survivor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kwasida, what you’ve written here is short but profound. I can completely relate to being at a crossroads in life, for I too find myself in that situation at this time. Like you I have read several self-help books, but I am of the philosophy that all self-help books are not created equal. Although helpful, I have found that many of the self-help books on the market today are geared towards what is deemed to be the popular issue of the day. For example if the Oprah book club says that book XYZ is the topic of the day, and Dr. OZ or Dr. Phil qualifies the malaise then so be it XYZ topic related books flood the books stores, newsstands, and checkout counters across the country.

    Personally, I feel as if I am being given limited choices, which has forced me to seek information in other places. During my search, what I have discovered is that I am more inclined to read and follow the ideologies behind self-improvement. I have read many books by Napoleon Hill and Andrew Carnegie. These authors have a grip on how to find the intestinal fortitude to seek out your greatness by overcoming your challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great observations and connection to the reading. I loved how you put it that you might be working toward personal fulfillment but your unconscious is locked in on a survival mentality. Well said.

    ReplyDelete